Tuesday 20 June 2017

How Amiel, 9, saved family from inferno

Brave boy: Amiel (second left) with brother Danel, mum Corinne and
dad Jason Miller PICTURE: THE TIMES/NEWS SYNDICATION

A NINE-year-old boy saved his entire family from the Grenfell Tower blaze after waking up to the smell of smoke and rushing in to rouse his parents.
Amiel Miller, who lived on the 17th floor with his seven-year-old brother Danel, father Jason Miller and mother Corinne Jones (all pictured above, credit: The Times/News Syndication), said: ‘I just woke up, I looked out the window and saw flame particles blowing past and I heard screaming.
‘So I went to my mum’s room and said, “Mummy, I think there’s a fire”, and then she said, “As quick as you can go and get your stuff on”, and I went to wake up Danel.’
Ms Jones, a paediatric medical secretary at Kensington and Chelsea Hospital, said they all owe their lives to Amiel, who woke them at around 1am, allowing them time to escape before the stairwell in the tower block filled with deadly black smoke. Ms Jones, 31, said: ‘He’s our hero. If he hadn’t woken us up, it would have been too late. Every second counted.
‘The next minute I was running from a burning building with my kids. It’s so surreal. I only realised much later just how close we came to death.’
Ms Jones said there was chaos in the corridors with residents rushing both upstairs and downstairs as panic grew.
She said: ‘I just went into auto-pilot mode. Had it been five minutes later we wouldn’t have been able to get down the stairs because they would have been full of smoke.’
She added: ‘Only 50 per cent of our floor survived, so many people who I 
see every day didn’t make it.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

A crumbling empire : The world's sole superpower, Derek Chauvin and the tragedy of a broken system

Insensitivity personified : Police Officer Derek Chauvin, 44, kneeling on Floyd's neck during his arrest George Floyd was filmed Mo...